Monday, January 20, 2014

Sh!t I Learned in South Africa (So Far)

If you knew me for the past few years, you might know that every semester in college since Fall 2010, I made a ritual of posting a list of things I had learned in the months previous.  The compilation of around 50 items or so would range in topics like:

-practical life lessons (“People often believe in you more than you do yourself.”, Fall 2011)
-personal revelations (“I am a serious nerd.”, Spring 2012)
-life advice (“Breathe. Drink water. Run in circles. Do some jumping jacks. Twerk. Then keep breathing.", Spring 2013)
-seemingly random facts (“The limbic system does not involve the limbs.”, Fall 2010)

This hodgepodge of things I learned is a great exercise in periodic reflection.

In true Paul fashion, I’m writing another list of what I’ve learned in South Africa so far, both the obvious and the obscure.  Now that I’m at my halfway point, I feel like it’s a natural time to look back on the things I’ve seen and experienced and how those things have left an impression on me.

So here we go.  Sh!t I Learned in South Africa (So Far).

1) Multilingualism is the norm, not the exception.
2) You can take the kid from New York, but you sure as hell can’t take away his love for bagels and pizza.
3) Most times, worrying is pointless.
4) You don’t know what you’re gonna miss until you start missing it.
5) How cricket works (but I still haven’t figured out rugby).
6) Red cappuccinos should be served everywhere.
7) It is important to share your feelings because you never know what will happen when you do.
8) “Irrespective of the situation,” “my worry is” that you might get “pushed against a tight corner,” and “I don’t like that.”
9) The cute guy who works at the gym isn’t hitting on you.  He’s just doing his job.
10) If there’s a chance to take an outdoor shower overlooking the mountains, take it.
11) My writing is worthy of being published on Thought Catalog.
12) Townships are not a death sentence.
13) Sheep’s heads are called smileys, and some people love eating them.
14) Braais are not just barbecues.  They are a way of life.
15) You don’t know what real wind is until you visit Port Elizabeth.
16) Don’t underestimate the expats finding each other.
17) Barthold Bread is awesome.
18) Don’t take the Intercape Bus unless you’re prepared to watch some really peculiar Christian programming.
19) American pop culture reaches into even the farthest corners of the world.
20) Some of the best role models have no idea how inspirational they actually are.
21) Prestik is the most useful product ever made.
22) It’s really hard to recognize girls when their weave changes so often.
23) “Now” never means “now.”
24) “Fear is temporary.  Regret is forever.”
25) You need really strong tongue muscles and oral dexterity to speak Xhosa.
26) I can use Excel pretty well… for downloading upon getting to South Africa.
27) You can get anyone to do anything for you at GRS PE if you bribe them with chicken.
28) You don’t really see any gardens on the Garden Route.
29) Cape Town is still beautiful.
30) Flexibility, of both the mind and body, is not natural; it is skill that needs to be honed.
31) “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.”
32) You should refrain from putting clip art of a cat as a border around your resume.
33) Don’t try to play a game with young children that consists of imitating animals unless you speak enough of their language to tell them to stop.  Cause they might start pecking you in the balls.  And that hurts.
34) That netball is a thing.
35) I’ve been missing out on good TV for years.
36) I’m not trying (nor am I ready) to get married any time soon.
37) Trevor Noah is hilarious.
38) Most times, the best decisions are made on the fly.
39) Pretty Little Liars is a horrible show.

40) If there’s a possibility for an adventure, take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment