Sunday, August 4, 2013

What This Feels Like

His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy, there's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti.

Wait.  Those are Eminem lyrics.  But I'm pretty sure it accurately describes what I'm feeling right now.

When I think about being a Grassroot Soccer intern for the next year, I am overcome with a slew of emotions ranging from extreme jitters to casual complacency.  It's very much a roller coaster ride - from the excitement of getting my site placement to the struggles of getting a visa (which I finally got two days before departure).  I can only imagine that from here on out, the antics will continue.

As a short introduction, my name is Paul.  I am a 22-year-old from the Bronx, New York and recent graduate of the University of Rochester where I studied World Music and Dance, anthropology, and Public Health.  This year, I will be a Programs Intern for Grassroot Soccer in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa.  Grasroot Soccer is an outstanding organization that uses the power of soccer to educate, inspire, and mobilize communities to stop the spread of HIV.  As a Programs Intern, I will support local programs and staff to deliver effective interventions in the communities with which Grassroot Soccer work.  This entails being involved in a multitude of different projects and responsibilities and serving as a support system for the staff at that office.

I hope to keep up with a good amount of consistency as writing really helps me process things.  I also want to keep all of my friends, family, and supporters in the loop and updated about my progress throughout the year.  For friends new and old, I hope to share thoughts, feelings, experiences, and wisdom.  I want you to really know what this feels like.  And as of right now, it feels exhilarating.

I can't wait for you to follow me on my next global journey and for all of the crazy things about to come.

And to end with some more lines from "Lose Yourself":


"If you had one shot, one opportunity, to seize everything you ever wanted.  One moment.  Would you capture it or just let it slip?"

No comments:

Post a Comment